Roof Coating Process
You may think the concept of a liquid roof is new and innovative — and it is, in some ways — but the idea was generated way back in the early 1800s. At that time, people combined natural bitumen with straw, rag felt and other man-made materials to help make their roofs waterproof.
This concept was refined in the early 20th century, when coatings were commercialized and mostly made with liquefied rubber. Advances continued to be made in production, and in the 1980s, the first moisture-cured polyurethane coatings were manufactured. That material continues to play a part in modern “cold roofs.”
If you are looking to learn more about the roof coating process in New Orleans, contact GreenStar from our Metairie headquarters. We are the experts in roof coatings!
The benefits of liquid roofing
Roof coatings can be applied over a variety of materials, including asphalt, concrete and bitumen. The coating will form a rubber-like, waterproof topping to your roof and will better protect it from the elements. Among the other benefits:
- Liquid coating can add 25 years to the life of your roof, which is also good for the environment, as the old material will not readily end up in landfills.
- This system can be as much as 70 percent less costly than completely replacing the roof.
- High temperatures are not needed to apply the roof system; it goes on cold, which means there’s less danger or risk.
- A roof coating can stretch when it needs to and return to its original state without cracking.
- These liquid systems will preserve everything underneath them. This means that if you are dealing with a roof with asbestos on it, covering it up with a roof coating will encapsulate the problem.
Roof coatings are different from deck coatings; the latter type is designed to withstand ongoing foot traffic on areas such as walkways or patios. The types of roof coatings we specialize in include Astec, UNIFLEX, Quest Hydro Stop, solar reflective coatings for asphalt, acrylic roofing and many more.
So if you are interested in the roof coating process in New Orleans, call our team of friendly professionals! We know everything about roof coatings and are here to help you.